It can be easy to forget about your ductwork because it is not easily seen. But like any other part of your air conditioning system, your ducts can suffer from damage and breakdown, and at some point, may need replacement. So how do you know when it’s time for duct replacement in St. Augustine? Here are a few signs that it may be time to replace your ductwork:
- Very high energy bills – are you using your air conditioner the same as always but see a big jump in your energy usage? This could be an indication of air loss in your ductwork, and until it is fixed, your ductwork will continue to leak.
- Excess humidity – humidity can get into your ductwork through cracks and disconnections, and because humidity enters your vents directly, it also gets added directly to your airstream and delivered to your indoors. Excess humidity can cause multiple problems, including stress to your air conditioner, mold growth in your ducts, and poor indoor air quality in your home.
- Distinct hot and cold spots – it is normal to have a small variance in temperature in different parts of your home, but if you experience sharp fluctuations, there may be a problem with certain air ducts and the volume of air they are carrying.
- Mold or mildew growth – mold and mildew thrive in cool, dark and moist environments, which can make your ductwork the perfect place for such pollutants to grow. Metal ducts can usually be cleaned of mold and mildew, but plastic ductwork can retain both the mold and spores after a cleaning, so to fully eradicate it, replacement may be required.
- Crushed and/or collapsed ductwork – ducts are not made to withstand heavy pressure from outside objects; they may also collapse due to broken connections. In either case, not only is your air flow compromised, but so is the overall operation of your air conditioning system. Collapsed ductwork may be reconnected if there is minimal damage, but crushed ductwork will most likely need to be replaced.
Always Hire a Professional for Duct Replacement
Your ductwork is the delivery system for your air conditioner, so it’s very important that it be well-designed and installed properly; this is why you should always use a trained professional for any and all ductwork.
For almost 25 years, Climate Masters has installed and replaced ductwork in St. Augustine. If you think it may be time to replace your ductwork, call us today.